The Silent Killer

SHARE

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Carbon Monoxide, usually referred to as CO, is an invisible and odourless gas which can be deadly.
Highly toxic to Humans and animals, it has been dubbed The Silent Killer as it is almost impossible to detect. As we cannot see it, taste it, or smell it dangerous levels can build up without knowing until illness has set in, as symptoms can be easily be mistaken for Flu this is also often ignored. Symptoms include;

  • Tiredness
  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Fatigue
  • Nausea

As symptoms progress;

  • Confusion
  • Poor to little coordination
  • Loss of consciousness

The good news is CO alarms exist!

We strongly recommend every home has at least one, you will see by the list below just how many potential sources of CO the average home has.

What creates CO?

CO is produced whenever a material burns and it is formed by the incomplete combustion of those fuels. Fuels such as;

  • Wood
  • Coal
  • Gases such as Propane, Butane and Natural Gas
  • Heating oil
  • Even cigarette smoke

Sources in and around the home with potential to create CO;

  • Boiler
  • Heaters
  • Fires
  • BBQ’s
  • Cars
  • Cookers

How can I reduce the risk?

As dangerous levels of CO can occur through faulty or poorly maintained appliances it is best practice to ensure that all appliances are maintained and serviced by a professional regularly and that the rooms they are in have more than adequate ventilation.
Making sure any new installations are fitted by a professional registered to a governing body is very important to, as is installing a CO alarm.

If you’re in need of a new Carbon Monoxide alarm, take a look at our CO alarm products here.

Stay safe